Sunday, June 1, 2008

Welcome to my Photography & Design Blog!

Hi and welcome to my Photography & Design blog! This isn't my first blog, as I have a personal blog; however, this is my first time blogging about my business. The business I LOVE and hope to see it grow each year.

I started my part-time photography business in January of 2008 and now I'm starting my design shop this Summer. Here's how it all happened....I've ALWAYS loved taking pictures, scenery most of the time, but then found my self never leaving w/out a camera on hand. After talking to my best friend Jenn, who has always been my 'prop' we started talking about doing this as a business. I was EXTREMELY excited for this, just one thing - - we didn't have a 'professional' camera, equipment, etc..

Well, I was getting married November 3rd to the love of my life Brant. The night before the wedding I stayed in a hotel with my two Maids of Honor (Jenn & Amy) and my Matron of Honor, Kelley (my cousin). Amy, Kelley and myself were chit chatting waiting for Jenn to come (she had to get 'things' before coming to the hotel for the night). She finally came and had a gift with her. She finally let me open it....after peeking inside I started to FREAK out, literally....she bought me (us) an actual photographers camera..nice, expensive, etc. etc. I was SOOOOO happy I couldn't contain myself!

I was in complete shock and thought it was a joke, so I opened the box and yes, there it was the best camera I've ever had! Of course I told her I was paying half since we're doing it together....

Well, we started planning the business had our name, but still needed to make it "legal" so I called an Attorney and, well come to find out it was better for us just to have me as the 'owner'...and that leads us to JMHickerson Photography. You will notice that a lot of my pictures are of Jenn (tall, skinny, blonde gal), we're both as happy as we can be - I'm doing this while she's actually getting hunting/fishing shows, photo shoots and all kinds of good stuff.

The Design part started as I planned my entire wedding by myself (w/help from mom and others of course). I wanted to have fun and unique things, so I started designing monograms, programs, our save the date cards, stickers for the bubbles and so on. It was a lot of fun and now I'm designing Holiday Cards, Save the date cards, Announcements, Business logos, and monograms. This will come in handy while taking photographs for clients I can give them something extra that others may not.

Everything has been a real blast and I can only hope to further this career and make it full time.

Thank you in advance to my husband for allowing me to make my dreams come true and furthering this journey with me, My parents for their support, help and love, My Parent-In-Laws for their support in things we both want to do in life, Grammy for her love, comfort and true guidance, Jenn for MAKING me start this dream and to keep it going, Amy for her teaching skills and everything in between, Kelley for always listening, guiding and being the best cousin, Patty for being my 'marketing' gal (and Haley for being my 'prop'), all of my cousin-in-laws for loving my work, believing in me, and letting me shoot their special occasions, Sarah for helping with all the photography questions I've had, for future shoots and for the support & help w/the design part , and of course to my future clients thank you for believing in me and letting me tell your stories through photography!

1 comment:

Sarah Shalley said...

very cool...i'll add it to my google reader so i can keep up with ya! exciting. :)